In The Community
Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
We believe an important way to Make the Love of God More Widely Known is having an active, volunteer-rich and supportive community presence that targets critical personal needs beyond our doors for people of all denominations. Our Mission Committee and its many volunteers focus on the needs of island residents and, when appropriate, needs beyond our island's shores.
From a modest beginning in 2020, our St. Paul's Suppers program now provides a weekly dinner to as many as 100 people throughout the year. In addition, we are delighted to support a number of island organizations including the Fairwinds counseling center, A Safe Place and the Nantucket Community School. Our Laundry Love program at Holdgate's Island Laundry supports many families. Over 40 St. Paul’s volunteers commit their time and talent to these ministries. Please join us. A list of our current activities is below:
- St. Paul's Suppers - using our own and donated funds, we are providing up to 100 dinners a week to a selected group that includes the needy and shut-ins.
- We support Fairwinds and its staff.
- Our Laundry Love Program (part of a national effort) provides the free access to Holdgate's Laundry once a month.
- We make healthy snacks available to middle-school students.
- The parish has long supported the island's Food Pantry.
- Our Rector, Father Max, is currently the president of the Nantucket Interfaith Council, which manages the island's Food Pantry and its rent and fuel assistance program.
- We have had an active partnership with an Episcopal Church in Cuba and, among other things, we have helped fund a water purification system in its community.